Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Electricity and How It affected America

Who invented the light bulb? The most two important people that made the light bulb is Thomas Edison and Joseph Wilson Swan. These two made an invention that changes the whole nation.

In the old days people used gas lamps as a source of light for houses and they also used candles at tables when reading letters, or writing them. Then one day Thomas Edison had bought this place after the stock ticker made him and his company richer. Thomas Edison decided to make the place he bought an invention place. So he hired all this scientists to make an invention that would one day make him famous and they did.

Thomas Edison and Joseph Swan introduced the light bulb in 1879 to America and how it worked. In Joseph Swan In 1850 he began working with carbonized paper filaments in an evacuated glass bulb. By 1860 he was able to demonstrate a working device but the lack of a adequate supply of electricity resulted in a short lifetime for the bulb and an inefficient source of light. By the mid-1870s better pumps became available, and Swan returned to his experiments. With the help of Charles Stearns, an expert on pumps, in 1878 Swan developed a method of processing that avoided the early bulb blackening. December 1878 a lamp using a skinny rod that was made out of carbon. Between the years 1878 and 1892 the electric light industry was growing in terms of installed lights but shrinking in terms of company competition as both Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse determined to control the industry and its advancement.

A lot of people were having their own doubts at that time. Mr. Roosevelt Wife had a hard time accepting the light bulb because she thought that it would blow up her house. When people were using gas lamps they didn’t know the dangers that came with using them. Sometimes houses would explode because of gas lamps. But when they were actually using the light bulbs then I guess they’re doubts disappeared.



To me Edison didn’t just invent a light bulb, either. He put together what he learned about what electricity with what he knew about gas lights and mixed a whole new system of electric lighting. Edison did it his own way and was well fitted together and he did his way.

9 comments:

Claire said...

Your blog was very informative, but--in the nicest way possible--you may want to reread your blog after it's written. Some parts of it I had a hard time understanding, but it'd be really easy to fix. Sometimes I can imagine life back then, without electricity, but for the most part I can only be grateful that someone like Edison was around who thought, "Gee, I can make electricity!" To me, I think there are only a handful of inventions that shaped the world what it is today, and electricity is one of them. You find it simply everywhere these days.

Jazmyn. said...

Thank god for Thomas Edison! I can't ever imagine life without electricity. Especially in this society today, everything is ran on power. Without electricity today nothing will be able to operate, everything will be literally shut down.Technology has taken over the world.

lovebirdz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lovebirdz said...

I like your blog because you explain about Thomas Edison and the light bulb in depth. I must admit that when I started reading your blog, I felt stupid since I didn't know who Joseph Wilson Swan was and what did he accomplish. But after reading the blog, I am thankful for both Swan and Edison for making the electricity possible for our world today. Frankly, I don't think any one of us will be able to live without electricity in this century as if electricity makes the world go round.

Kyle McEvoy said...

Nice blog! Your blog packed a punch! Lol. I really learned alot from reading your blog. I didn't know that Thomas Edison worked with someone else like Swan to invent a light bulb. I thought Thomas Edison invented it all by himself...I guess not. Anyway, you should reread your blog for grammatical errors and sometimes I had a hard time getting past some sentences. But overall, nice blog! Keep it up!

Ashanti said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. it was very informative on thomas edison and that other man. lol these men changed history. im so thankful for the light bulb.

Ana-Alicia said...

wow. great blog. I liked how your blog was different from other people's topics. I liked how you talked about Thomas Edison and Joseph Swan. I really didn't know much about Swan until you described him in your blog. I also learned about Mrs. Roosevelt's ideas on the first lightbulbs. Your blogs always have so much information and I can learn from. Keep up the good work. :]

Cole Toady said...

That was a nice read. Your blog was very informative. I didn't have a clue who Mr.Swan(whose first name escapes me) was before your blog. It's true Edison did things his way and came up with one of the most important inventions ever. Electricity! Today life would not be very comfortable or very efficient without it. Thank you, Thomas Edison! (bows down in his glory)

n/a said...

I agree that electricity has become such a powerful and important invention in society. So many things use it as a power source today, so I can't imagine why Mrs. Roosevelt rejected it! Little did she know that her gas lamps were more dangerous than Edison's light bulbs. Nice job on tracing the development of the light bulb.